Inverclyde Sports Personality Awards Winners Announced At Gala Dinner
Over 200 local sports players, their supporters plus officials and sponsors met in the Greenock Town Hall to applaud the finalists and winners of nine categories of Sports Awards.
The event was expertly hosted by awards newcomer Amber Zoe of Clyde 1, supported by radio presenter, Mike McLean. (Photo Credits: Bradley Shankster)
The atmosphere was electric, helped by an entertaining performance from local band Travelling Jukebox, and a fascinating insight into professional tennis from British Davis Cup Captain, Leon Smith.
"I loved the evening - a night full of determination, passion, drive, success and most importantly, community!
"The people of Inverclyde helped to make me feel so welcome, and I am thrilled to have been given the opportunity to host these special awards."
Speaker Leon Smith added:
"Well done to everyone on organising the awards evening. It was very impressive, and I was delighted to be a part of it’.
For the organisers, Chris Jewell said:
"Once again this was an inspirational occasion for local sports people of all ages, and there was a lot of excitement on the night. The achievements mentioned about so many Inverclyde athletes both locally and national reminded everyone of just how much real sporting talent there is in Inverclyde.
"Thanks are also due to ICE Catering for a lovely meal and to Parklea Branching Out for the beautiful flowers. It was also great to be able to present two grants on stage as part of the grant scheme which is funded from the proceeds of the awards event.
"We are grateful to our sponsors and colleagues which enable us to make this event possible and the proceeds from the evening will be used to provide grants to aspiring local athletes in their quests to get into national, Commonwealth and Olympic teams."
Riverside Inverclyde's Head of Business Investment, Andrew Bowman, said:
'It was a fantastic evening and wonderful to see some of Inverclyde's finest sportspersons and volunteers.
"Riverside Inverclyde is delighted to continue its sponsorship of the awards, and we'd like to congratulate all of the nominees and winners on another fabulous year of sport for Inverclyde."
A full list of finalists and the winners are:
Above: Clyde 1 presenter Amber Zoe
COACH OF THE YEAR (Sponsored by sportscotland)
- John Black – Martial Arts - Winner
- Andrew Hamilton - Tae-Kwon-Do
- Ally Hunter – Rugby
- Gemma Stewart - Football
DISABLED SPORTS PERSONALITY OF THE YEAR (Sponsored by New Horizons Marketing)
- Kyle Brotherton - Swimming and Wheelchair Athletics
- Isaac Dunning – Swimming - Winner
- Aimee Hagen – Swimming
- Rhys McCole - Boxing
SCHOOL TEAM OF THE YEAR (Sponsored by Inverclyde Council)
- All Saints Primary School – Football - Winner
- Notre Dame HS Under 13 – Football
- Clydeview Academy S1-2 – Heptathlon Team
Above: 2018 Team of the Year - Greenock Wanderers Rugby 1st XV (Men) - with awards host Amber Zoe and Riverside Inverclyde's Andrew Bowman
TEAM OF THE YEAR (Sponsored by Riverside Inverclyde)
- Ardgowan Men's Team - Tennis
- Greenock Wanderers 1st XV Men - Rugby - Winners
- Inverclyde Club - Senior Mens - Athletics
- Inverclyde Goliaths - American Football
JUNIOR SPORTS PERSONALITY OF THE YEAR (Sponsored by Inverclyde Leisure)
- Ross Darroch - Rugby and Athletics
- Matthew Garrity - Swimming - Winner
- Scott Hannaway - Athletics
- Stuart McAlees - Lawn Bowls
- Harry McGill - Athletics
YOUNG VOLUNTEER OF THE YEAR (Sponsored by Amazon)
- Gemma Stewart - Football - Winner
- Robert Todd - Athletics
ADULT VOLUNTEER OF THE YEAR (Sponsored by Specsavers, Greenock)
- John Black - Martial Arts
- Kevin Rodgers - Multi-sports
- Bobby Thomson - Table Tennis - Winner
CLUB OF THE YEAR (Sponsored by Ogilvie Homes)
- Greenock Glenpark Harriers – Athletics - Winners
- Port Glasgow Otters – Swimming
- Inverclyde Goliaths - American Football
SENIOR SPORTS PERSONALITY OF THE YEAR (Sponsored by West College Scotland)
- Kyle Brotherton - Swimming and Wheelchair Athletics - Winner
- Lucha DS – Professional Wrestling
- Issac Dunning - Swimming
(Photo Credits to Bradley Shankster)
Published: 11 March 2019